Saturday, January 23, 2010

#22 - Using off-camera flash

I was asked yesterday to take some family pictures for a family where the mom is about to lose her hair from chemotheraphy. The clincher was that she's going to lose her hair any day, so I have to do the pictures today! How could I say no? I explained that I am a hobbyist and I will do my best to get some good pictures. I also realized that with it being winter in Michigan I couldn't really count on taking a family portrait outdoors AND I couldn't rely on having good indoor natural light. So I opened up my camera manual, figuree out how to use my camera as a master for an off camera flash, and practiced a little while the kids were watching television.

The picture below was taken with the flash to my left, bounced off a reflector that was about 4-5 feet from the subject. Of course, its a little grainy as I forgot to turn down my ISO, so its set at 2000 - bummer! I'll fix that this morning!

#22

1 comment:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am married and have two wonderful sons, Ben and Dylan and a daughter, Lily. We brought Lily home from China on April 9, 2008. Our journey to her was the inspiration to start blogging.